How to STOP COVID-19
We are in the middle of a holocaust-scale event. Over 1.37MM people have died. Another 1MM to 10MM+ will die before vaccines save the day. We are racing against the clock. And the furnace can be turned off.
To stop a virus: we need to stop spreading the virus.
This can be solved by everyone adjusting their behavior appropriately. If we do this, communities and businesses will be able to reopen almost immediately.
WHY WILL THIS WORK?
The logic is simple:
- The virus is transmitted person-to-person with asymptomatic transmission.
- Thus, to change the rate of infection, we need to change behavior.
- The ideal behavior is: if you may be infectious, you take appropriate precautions.
- To know whether you may be infectious, you need to either:
A) take a test or
B) know whether you had an interaction with someone who was or may have been infectious in the last two weeks.
Every individual should see something like this:
If you see this, you know to be reasonably careful, but you can go about your day safely. If your graph looks like this:
You might want to take steps to reduce your movement and not hang out with your friends for a bit.
A mathematician from Carnegie Mellon University by the name of Po-Shen Loh has built an app called NOVID (novid.org). It works on Android and Apple devices and is incredibly simple. I noted my thoughts about the app here.
It is the only tool that I am aware of that does exactly what we need.
It answers that specific question:
How far are you from someone who was tested positive?
Because the tool is simple, it is secure, private, and efficient.
Now comes the hard part — everyone needs to get onboard. If we do, we will stop the pandemic.
The ideal scenario is that NOVID (or similar) are pushed via phones, press and influencers cover and endorse this approach, Fauci makes an announcement, and we are off to the races.
Short of that ideal, this becomes a problem of marketing on a local, national, and international levels.
BOTTOM-UP / GRASSROOTS
- People in communities take steps to protect themselves by getting each other to install this app.
- Community businesses should install this app — this way they will protect EVERYONE who comes through a store.
- Viral Spread
TOP-DOWN / FABRIC OF SOCIETY
- Fabric-of-Society Companies (Google, FB, LinkedIn, Apple, Reddit, etc.)
This is where you, the readers, come in. This movement will be as real and as powerful as we make it. I am currently working on the next steps. For you:
- Install the app!!!
- Share the app with your friends, household, etc. in person, on FB, on LinkedIn, wherever.
- Reach out to your network to try to gain wide adoption
If there is a significant adoption, EVERYONE WILL BE SAFER and we may be able to halt transmission of COVID from our communities in a very short time.
If you are interested in helping, reach out via twitter at @AC19CR or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please check back to this article for an upcoming video, newsletter, etc.